This guide will teach you how to make an awesome themed hat with EZ-EL Wire! For more cool ideas check out https://ez-el.com/tutorials!
The EZ-EL Wire Kit you will need for this project can be purchased here.
Enter coupon code MAKEjuly4 at checkout for a discount!
Step #1: Next
- Using a scissor, cut a 3/4 in. hole at the top corner of the hat. Mimic what is being done in the picture or poke a hole wherever you want to start off your design. Poking this hole will help conceal the start of the wire and allow the output wires to be concealed inside the hat.
Step #2: Next
- String EL wire through the hole you have just made in Step 1.
Step #3: Next
- Zip tie the red, white, and blue EL wire together.
- Once the wire is through the hole, pull the EL wire all the way through unti the very end. Make sure to conceal the non-plastic part inside of the hat.
Step #4: Next
- You can do any pattern you choose to. Place the wire anywhere you want to start your design. I chose to start the process at the top of the hat.
- Poke the needle from inside the hat through to the outside, around the wire and back inside the hat. Continue two more times. The string should end up back inside the the hat where you tie it off with the starting end.
Step #5: Next
- Wrap it to an edge and sew it at the curving point.
- Put the EL wires together. Sew the beginning to the side of the hat first, then start twisting. Once you are satisfied with the length of the twist pattern go ahead and sew the end point of the twist pattern to the hat. (I twisted the wire until I used up all the wire.) Then twist-tie the end point to prevent it from unraveling.
- Using the twisted pattern wrap the wire around the hat or line it up to create your own design.
Step #6: Next
- Poke a hole at the brim of the hat or anywhere your design ends. Then string the excess wire through the hole. This helps conceal the wire and allows it to rest on the side of the hat.
- Snip off the tail on the zip tie, and you are done! Congratulations! Go out and celebrate! Happy Independence Day!