This guide will teach you how to make your very own Michael Jackson costume with EZ-EL Wire! For more cool ideas check out https://ez-el.com/tutorials!
The 25′ EZ-EL Wire Kits you will need for this project can be purchased here.
Enter coupon code MAKEmj at checkout for a discount!
Step #1: Next
- For this project you are going to need two 25' Yellow EL Wire Kits, one for each side of the jacket. You're going to want to place the inverters under the shoulder pads because it keeps them out of sight. Just clip them to the wire on the inside of the shoulder. Following my design, I created four X’s on the shoulder pad. I used 11 zip ties to keep the wires in a specific shape, and I used safety pins to temporarily attach the wire onto the suit.
- However, feel free to take creative license in terms of what type of Michael Jackson costume you use, and what designs you make with the EL Wire.
Step #2: Next
- Work your way down from the shoulders to the chest, using safety pins and zip ties to hold your designs in place. Now would be a good time to make sure all of your designs are neatly and correctly done. Don't sew anything in place just yet; just apply safety pins like I mentioned earlier and make sure your plan is satisfactory.
Step #3: Next
- This step is where your designs become permanent. Cut holes throughout the costume with the X-Acto Knife, weaving the EL-wire through those holes. When this is done, sew the wire into the costume with the translucent thread. Something to keep in mind is that your stitch work doesn't necessarily need to be flawless, but ensure that it gets the job done. Remember, this costume is intended for a dark setting!
- Enjoy your finished costume! Have fun!