The Pre’s mobile hotspot feature lets you run Skype on an iPod Touch, and you can use Google Voice for messaging.
I’ve been exploring different strategies to customize my mobile service plan. I opted to get a Palm Pre Plus with the minimum voice/messaging, essentially creating an approximately $50/month plan with unlimited data, voice, and messaging (via Skype and Google Voice).
Step #1: Next
- Tape the phones together back to back. This step is not totally necessary. You can keep the Pre in your bag or pocket; the wi-fi signal is strong enough.
Step #2: Next
- Open the "Mobile Hotspot" feature on your Pre, create a new network and start it up.
Step #3: Next
- Hop on the newly created network with your iPod Touch. The Pre should indicate that the iPod has connected.
Step #4: Next
- Launch Skype, and you're ready to make a call!
- For demo purposes I called the Pre. Success!