The line of LEDs takes the inverted signals from a CD4017 counter, so that each LED generates light when the related outputs go to a low level. It works in bidirectional sequence. A 555 timer chip, in astable multivibrator mode, generates the clock signal.
Circuit schematic & video
Step #1: Next
- The CD4017 integrated circuit may be damaged by static electricity.
- Use an antistatic workbench.
- Be connected to ground while you work.
Step #2: Next
- If you connect the components with individual wires, I suggest that you start by soldering the wires on the integrated circuit's pins.
- Check that the resistors' values work for your LEDs, especially on the middle stages.
- Since your LEDs may be different from mine, you may have to modify the resistors' values.
- Pay attention to the 470 and 47K resistors.