I have been fascinated with arcs and sparks, bangs and pops ever since I created an arc with a busted power adaptor.
One day I thought about making a proper "big boys’ toy" that would be safer and more convenient.
Step #1: Next
- Mains voltage is extremely dangerous and should not be used in this project. Even though the voltage from this project is high enough to arc, it is not deadly.
Step #2: Next
- First you need:
- 120v or 240v to 9v power adaptor
- Terminal posts
- Not shown: tactile switch
- Connector socket
Step #3: Next
- Solder the components according to the diagram.
- Don't forget to reverse the transformer so that you put power into the output terminals.
Step #4: Next
- Now, put the electronics in the enclosure and make a foot switch.
- Finally, put 12v into the input socket and Presto! You have your own high voltage power supply that can be connected to a Jacob's Ladder (basically, put two lengths of coat hanger wire close enough for the arc to jump across at different positions). Have fun!