Do you have a pile of plastic containers you never use? Put them to work by creating a plastic herb garden paradise. It’s a great way to recycle your plastic, plus it puts fresh herbs at your fingertips.
Step #1: Select containers.Next
- Containers that work best are ones that are solid in color. Clear and translucent containers can grow mold inside, so it’s best to stay away from those. Choose a lid for each container that fits comfortably under the base. This will collect water overflow.
- We used all the scrap plastic we could get our hands on for this project: food storage containers, a Frisbee, a small bucket, even a plastic piggy bank. You’ll be surprised at the plastic scrap you can dig up once you start looking.
Step #2: Drill a water drainage hole.Next
- Place the scrap wood on a flat surface and center the bottom of your container on the wood. Drill a hole in the bottom center of the container. Make sure that the plastic is flush against the wood, otherwise the plastic can bend and crack.
Step #3: Plant your seeds.
- Place several medium-sized rocks in the bottom of the container. This will help the water drain through the pot. Fill the rest of the container with potting soil until it reaches about 1⁄2" from the top. Place the container atop the lid.
- Put your seeds or plants into the soil, and then sit back and watch them grow.