Do you like pop-ups? Interested in how they work? You’re in the right place!
I am a professional paper engineer (those are just fancy words for "pop-up designer"), and I work in Robert Sabuda’s studio (http://www.robertsabuda.com), where we design children’s pop-up books (among other things). We love teaching people how to make pop-ups of their own! For more templates and instructions about making pop-ups, check out the Make Your Own Pop-Ups section on Robert’s website.
Step #1: Next
- You will need a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 inch 110 lb card stock or other heavy paper, some scissors, a marker or pencil, and decorating materials.
Step #2: Next
- Take a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 card stock and fold it in half.
Step #3: Next
- Draw a line (about 45 degrees) from the folded edge to the middle of the page
Step #4: Next
- Cut along the line with scissors.
Step #5: Next
- Fold the point towards you and crease it well.
- Fold it backwards along the same fold and crease well.
Step #6: Next
- Fold the very tip of the point forwards and backwards.
Step #7: Next
- Open the card and push the main point forward as you close the card.
- This is called a V-fold, because the folds are at an angle from the middle fold of the card.
Step #8: Next
- The card should look like this when it's closed.
Step #9: Next
- Open the card slightly and push the creased tip downwards and inwards. You now have a big v-fold with a little v-fold on top.
Step #10: Next
- Close the card and draw two short parallel lines, about 3/4 inches long, in the middle of the folded edge.
Step #11: Next
- Cut along the lines with scissors, through all four layers of the card.
Step #12: Next
- Fold the tab backwards and forwards at the ends of the cuts. Make sure the new fold is parallel to the v-fold's edge.
- Repeat on the other tab on the opposite side of the card.
Step #13: Next
- Open the card and push the tab on the right side inwards as you re-close the card.
- Repeat on the other side.
- You now have layer folds coming off of your main v-fold - eyes for your creature!
- Your monster is now ready to decorate in any way you choose!