This guide will share ideas for common materials you can use to create a one-of-a-kind remote-controlled car.
Step #1: Open electric drillNext
- Remove battery pack from drill.
- Remove screws as shown.
Step #2: Remove drill motor and speed controlNext
- Split electric drill in half.
- Remove electric drill motor and throttle switch assembly.
- Remove drill motor from casing and throttle switch from throttle body as shown.
Step #3: Build chassisNext
- We recommend that you arrange the PVC connectors on the table to determine your chassis profile. Here was our initial step.
- We cut pieces of PVC tubing to create the chassis frame.
- Here is the final chassis design.
Step #4: Create suspension systemNext
- Mount upper and lower swing arms to RC wheel mount as shown. Ensure movement of swing arms.
- Test wheel on suspension arms for clearance between chassis frame and ground.
- Use medical syringe with cap to create strut.
Step #5: Next
- Mount handle of syringe to chassis frame as shown.
- Create recessed notch for syringe cap to interface with lower swing arm as shown.
- Repeat for all four wheel positions.
Step #6: Throttle systemNext
- Modify throttle switch by removing inner throttle button spring and replacing with lighter-duty outer spring as shown. Use a washer and pin to keep outer spring in place.
- Next, drill a hole through the throttle button, through the throttle assembly and fish through fishing line as shown.
- Tie ends of fishing line to servo arms as shown.
Step #7: Drive systemNext
- Use RC axles to connect rear wheels together. Route the axles through a piece of PVC tubing with a hole to feed the vacuum belt through as shown. Secure PVC tubing to chassis.
- Mount electric drill motor to chassis as shown. Create a wooden drum with a shoulder to ensure that the vacuum belt stays in place.
Step #8: Steering systemNext
- Mount servo to chassis as shown. Create and mount steering servo connector piece as shown. Connect steering arms to the connector piece as shown.
Step #9: Radio-control systemNext
- Mount receiver to chassis.
- Mount battery pack for receiver to chassis.
- Connect steering and throttle servo wires to receiver.