THE PRINTRBOT IS A RELATIVE NEWCOMER to the field of consumer- grade 3D printers and is touted by its creator, Brook Drumm, as “your first 3D printer.” After a wildly successful Kickstarter campaign in December 2011, where they received over $800,000 in funding, Printrbot has been working to develop low-cost printers that can maintain quality while increasing portability. They’ve produced a few different models to suit a variety of user needs, from the Printrbot Plus with its 8″×8″×8″ print volume, to the compactable Printrbot Jr.
To read the full review, buy the Make: Ultimate Guide to 3D Printing.
Get a copy of the MAKE Ultimate Guide To 3D Printing today!
- 3D Printers Buyer's Guide — 15 Reviewed
- Getting Started in 3D
- Learn the Software Toolchain
- 3D Design for Beginners
- 3D Printing without a Printer
We want to hear from you! Share your experiences with this machine, what you like, what you don't like, where you think our test team got it wrong. We hope you’ll join in the discussion. We’d also love to see the things that you design and print out.
- Primo Features Extendable in any axis, heated print bed, SD card slot
- Print volume 6″×6″×6″
- Print speed Up to 200mm/sec
- Print material ABS, PLA
- Resolution (z-axis) 0.4mm–0.1mm
- Machine software Printrun/Pronterface
- Slicing software Slic3r, Skeinforge
- OS supported Windows, Mac, Linux
- Open Source Yes
- Price as tested $799 assembled
- Pedigree Original
- Print without PC? Yes, SD card